Friday, July 04, 2008

Brett Anderson - Wilderness

Rating:6/10
Self-titled Brett Anderson record took my attention last year, it was something between Suede and Brett Anderson. He now releases a new record which is titled Wilderness. I can say i'm very patient when it comes to write about my favorite artists.

This time, Brett Anderson is inspired by John Cale and Nico like neoclassic music, the first track has been almost better than any romantic Suede songs. I loved the cello, piano and his broken voice. The Empress which is the second song, reminds me a lot of thing about gay people, singing "didn't i try to love her/didn't i paint pictures of her/didn't i try to change". Third song Clowns reminds Wild Oldham (aka Bonnie "Prince" Billy), brooding like mother turtles, and it honestly bothers you repeating such/a/lonely/sound many times. The modern folk song "Blessed" highlights and refreshes the darkness a bit, there is still shadowy tracks all along the album. Notably, on Funeral Mantra he's again points out his Scott Walker sympathy, that isn't a new thing. Back To You is soulful duet that previously performed by Anderson on his tours. Besides, Brett Anderson should be listening to David Sylvian a lot.

Brett Anderson is obsessed with loneliness, this didn't changed for years. And he should put some powerful, hooky, shifting songs to his records. This is romantic but you won't be pleased after hearing romantic everywhere. Everything is the same in Wilderness, debut was better.

MM picks: A Different Place, Blessed, Back To You

Brett Anderson - A Different Place

other albums:
Brett Anderson

10 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

can't beleieve this! wilderness' better than debut! u r a babe..

Anonymous said...

shut up i am not lonely. i have my cats and christina aguilera records.

Anonymous said...

lol sylvia? really? get a grip. plz & ty. my bb brett > sylvia any day.

Anonymous said...

is brett homo? ;)

Anonymous said...

i dunno but u r homo ;)

Anonymous said...

Just saw Brett on YOUTUBE singing "Love Is Dead" live from a windowsill. Just him and his acoustic. Fantastic.

Anonymous said...

It's funny because I just got told off for saying the album has lonliness as an overwhelming emotion/theme. But then again Brett Anderson fans don't like us so much....

You think the acoustic nonsense works? I find he's overdone it after all those gigs and re-recordings last year. I mean, c'mon, move forward!

Ben on 9:09 pm said...

this is absolutely overdone JustHipper, you're quite right about it. Wilderness definitely doesn't move his music one step forward. Another new songs for Suede fans, that's all.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard the album, so I can't comment on that, but you call that a review? And no-one minds? Just how old are you, buddy? Because my 7 year old niece has a better grasp of English than you seem to. How can I trust anything you say, when it looks like you have trouble forming sensible sentences?....

Ben on 3:07 pm said...

hey!!! if so, just close the page and do not read. are you trying to discourage me? then you waste your time.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Week

Featured Post

Talk Talk - Such A Shame (80s music)

You don't really see that I share a lot of 80s on this blog. I am always so confused by the era, not really implying it's pretenti...

 

Modern Music 2011 | Designed by Bulut