Friday, July 20, 2007

Hungarian Suicide Song: Gloomy Sunday

"Gloomy Sunday" (from Hungarian "Szomoru Vasarnap", is a song written by the Hungarian
self-taught pianist and composer Rezso Seress in 1933. According to urban legend, it inspired hundreds of suicides. When the song was first marketed in the United States, it became known as the "Hungarian suicide song".There is no systematic substantiation for such claims, as it is not documented where any such allegations appear in press coverage or other publications of the time. The song was covered several times, and these are my favorite cover versions:

7 COMMENTS:

shane on 12:33 am said...

weird. i just found out about this song today, and started looking for it. thanks so much. I just wish i could find the paul robeson version...

shane on 1:02 pm said...

thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I think it is Heather Nova and not Sinead O'Connor who is singing on one of the tracks.

Ps: love the song anyhow.

Awe

Anonymous said...

I, too love this song. It was actually one of the first things I wrote about when I started my website (collectedsounds.com). I have a list of all the artists (that I knew of) who covered it. I'll have to make sure all yours are on mine!
In case you're interested:
http://www.collectedsounds.com/corner/gloomy.html

Anonymous said...

Hey,

How about Bjork's version?

http://nevergetoutoftheboat.blogspot.com/2007/01/at-presents-stormy-weather.html

Anonymous said...

I love this music. I heard it when I was a kid and I do love this music. But I don't know its name or its story until today!

Anonymous said...

everyone here has missed out the Venetian Snares version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QAqJAfBjN8

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Week

Featured Post

Talk Talk - Such A Shame (80s music)

You don't really see that I share a lot of 80s on this blog. I am always so confused by the era, not really implying it's pretenti...

 

Modern Music 2011 | Designed by Bulut