Thursday, November 27, 2008

"Rose Grenades"- St. Just Vigilates (2008)


I just discovered this new band while surfing around looking at new releases, and their minimalist sound and enchanted, hypnotic, mantra-like music snagged my attention immediately. The band's write-up about their music on MySpace is a little... out there. Okay, a lot out there. To quote only a small portion, they say "It’s a cactus trance of ancient metronomes, ESP murmurs and pomegranate flavoured candy canes". I have only one thing to say.

This song is chilly.

It's the kind of thing you'd expect to form a glaze of ice on your speakers, and I would not be surprised to hear it show up in a movie about serial killers. Scratchy, off-tune strings stalk through the whole song whilst the twinkles of stars (or bells or knives?) in the night dance in the foreground, as the vocals lurk beyond in the cold.
Judging by the songs I've heard thus far, St. Just Vigilantes new album Pastor of Oaks, Sheppherd of Stones promises to be a mostly meditative (AKA quiet, trace-inducingly dull) experience. This song may well be the standout in an otherwise flat CD.

St. Just Vigilantes- Rose Grenades

1 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I can't say it's my taste, but it's interesting. very ghoulish.

-silver penciled

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Week

Featured Post

Talk Talk - Such A Shame (80s music)

You don't really see that I share a lot of 80s on this blog. I am always so confused by the era, not really implying it's pretenti...

 

Modern Music 2011 | Designed by Bulut