Friday, March 09, 2007

Brett Anderson - Brett Anderson

Rating: 8.6/10
Modern Music Review
This is the first solo work by formerly member of Suede. We miss Suede, those dashing guitars, perfect pop songs, soulful stylish combination of previous high-class pop acts such as Stone Roses, David Bowie, Morrissey.

I have nothing to hide, i've been listening this one several times on my unending daily routines. "Dust and Rain" takes control strongly after two lazy opening songs, actually comparing those gives a result of this record's similarities with "Dog Man Star". Near to considering it as a boring experience, "Scorpio Rising" and another wonderful piece "The Infinite Kiss" appears greatly and makes Brett voice at the top of musical influence and definitely it changes your mind. Moving comfortable pop composing slowly comes as a surprise!

Brett Anderson (2007) somehow reminds us Suede's heyday, and other main britpop bands, Elastica, Blur, Mansun, Pulp, The Manics expect the four songs on the end. Colour Of The Night, The More We Possess..., Ebony, Song For My Father -- these are quite different works of Brett, having a bit of Scott Walker gloomy, Tom Waits petulance, also they've been really very good closing songs -- moving slowly down to your veins and glowing your body. Incidentally "The More We Possess" reminds "Infinitely Late At Night" (69 love songs) by Magnetic Fields. Closing track "Song For My Father" offers perfect melancholia, intelligent songwriting, a touching end. What i mean is that Brett is growing on, particularly when he is alone. However this solo sounds well after forgivable The Tears or disbanded Suede!

It's not as overwhelming as a Suede Debut or Dog Man Star. Besides it's not anything bigger than early Suede. But as a great solo work, Brett Anderson proves that he's well-talented when it comes to romantic guitar songs. A necessary theme for sweet dreams. Street Date: March 26
MM picks: To The Winter, Colour Of The Night, Song For My Father
mp3: Love Is Dead
mp3: To the Winter
Brett Anderson Official

6 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think it's a great album. Love Is Dead as a single, with the b-sides is strong too. I've only heard clips though, which is a shame. Good review!

Paperslut on 11:21 am said...

I miss Suede too!

Head over my side for an old Stereophonics review... Viva la Britpop!

Anonymous said...

Definitely best album of the year.

El Pi on 1:16 am said...

I'd like to give it a 7.5 ;) because I miss Back To You... (Sorry for being ignorant!)

El Pi on 1:17 am said...

I miss Back To You... I wish it has another better version ;) Sorry for being ignorant! I just wanna give it a 7.5.

Anonymous said...

Love Is Dead - very intresting song

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Week

Featured Post

Talk Talk - Such A Shame (80s music)

You don't really see that I share a lot of 80s on this blog. I am always so confused by the era, not really implying it's pretenti...

 

Modern Music 2011 | Designed by Bulut