Thursday, November 30, 2006

Memphis - Little Place In The Wilderness

Rating: 6.8/10
Modern Music Review
Indie Rock
Memphis' sophomore LP, "A little Place In The Widerness", by Stars singer Torquil Campbell and Chris Dumont features Metric's James Shaw, Josh Trager.
My dreams... I saw that words when i unwraped the Cd. I liked the cover and diary-like lyric papers which beg of you to draw you at a truelife story. It's been a illustrative info about the concept. I've always been a dream pop fan, i've always wanted to be in a place where music dreams softy. Softly, i said because nighmares are another part of dreams. Soft dreams remind of beautiful dreams.

Soft as snow dreams which you have to keep to yourself. Because, while we only care about ourselves, who cares about your dreams? So it's risky try to write about only your dreams on your songs. As the worst scenario, listeners will fall apart. On "A little Place In The Widerness", most of the songs include the same word, "Dream". According to me it's a blemish.

However, there are quite vivid songs on the cd ; romantic "In the Cinema", brilliant "Incredibly Drunk on Whiskey" and "A Ghost Story". We all make love in the cinema, sometimes we want to be as drunk as a fool, everyone thinks about ghosts at times. These are the moving themes of Torquil Campbell on songwriting. At the same time, it's hard to say these for some melodies on the album because of their lack of harmony. Actually it's even hard to remember them despite several spin. Horns, saxophones, airy electric guitars are jazzy, especially violins are harmonious with childhood memories included extraordinary "A Ghost Story".

It's broken and sensitive record, stucked in the middle of cloudy dreams that belong to Torquil Campbell, easily charming everything around of it. Turn off the lights, watch the beautiful world out there.
Like John Lennon said before: ' Dream, dream away -- Magic in the air, was magic in the air? I believe, yes I believe -- More I cannot say, what more can I say? '
MM picks: Incredibly Drunk on Whiskey, A Ghost Story
Mp3: I'll Do Whatever You Want
Memphis the band

1 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

This album deserves a much better rating, it is one of my favorites of recent.

PS. I posted "Incredibly Drunk on Whiskey" on my blog. Def. illustrates a different sound for Campbell.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts of the Week

Featured Post

Talk Talk - Such A Shame (80s music)

You don't really see that I share a lot of 80s on this blog. I am always so confused by the era, not really implying it's pretenti...

 

Modern Music 2011 | Designed by Bulut